POWER

POWER METAL FORCES - HEAVY METAL PORTAL

Devoid



Exclusive interview with guitarist Shad Mae from DEVOID

Hello! Can you introduce your band for my readers?

Devoid was found in 2017 after a long hiatus with SHADYON. The initial idea when creating Devoid, was to create a group, that would bring together all of my influences without any barrier in terms of songwriting. We already released 1 album called CUP OF TEARS on melodicrock records and we 've got the opportunity to sign a deal with Frontiers Records for this one.There is some change with the line up, BEN LESOUS (drums) and GWEN KERJAN (guitar) are the 2 new members of the band and let's not forget SHOB on bass. JORRIS (keyboards) et CARSTEN were already there for the 1ST album. I 've been working with Jorris for more than 15 years especially with SHADYON (need his magic on my song..😉 and I know and work with Gwen for almost 20 years indeed he is the owner of the slab sound studio, and we have worked on a lot of projects together (SHADYON, DEVOID..). I even replaced it on guitar for a gig with a tribute band to AC/DC ahahah...

You have original and interesting name of band. What`s the meaning of name Devoid?

It’s the title of a Devin Townsend song i like a lot! And by the way…”take someone off guard” ... the idea is to deliver music, that people don't expect. Certainly ambitious, but the objective is to surprise the listeners ;-) 

Devoid sound very variously! Who is the main authors in band?

I am the main songwriter (I wrote 100% of the 1st album), but for Lonely Eye Movement the songwriting was shared more openly. Gwen wrote 2 tracks, Jorris and I wrote half of the music on the album and I wrote the rest on my own. This time Cartsen wrote all the lyrics and.... we see the difference ;-) His lyrics move away from metal stereotype.

When I listening to Devoid, I hear so many ways of metal and rock. Progressive, Power, Hard Rock. Who is the main influences to create music of Devoid?

My influences being wide, the idea is to condense all these elements and to offer albums mixing AOR, power metal and progressive metal. Indeed I am a fan of groups like White Heart, Winger, Giant, Starship, Europe, The Midnight ... but also groups such as Soilwork, In Flames, Cyrha, Ayreon ... I try to mix it all up .. as best as I can .. without limits

What about Dream Theater influences? 

I listened a lot to images and words and awake ...then .....I dropped the deal. These musicians are exceptional and very talented. The masters of progressive metal. But I find it difficult to hang on to the latest albums, it lacks surprises and hooks in my opinion. But We, I think Devoid could be a progressive metal band. For me, being progressive means writing music without limits. To propose a varied universe and different atmospheres….#nolimit. I do not see progressive metal as music based musicians skills (you just have to be able to play what you like without constraints),  but more as a tasty mixture of different influences and we try make it all harmonious. This is why you find saxophone, big guitar riffs and AOR chorus on Lonely Eye Movement.. of course all this in the service of the songs.

Do you like their «A View from the Top of the World»?

I like the artwork 😉 and the amazing production. ..not so interested in the songwriting.

Who is your guitar hero and why?

;;)I'm a big fan of George Lynch. He is very unpredictable, innovative and creative (just listen to the last KXM album) he is not resting on his laurels, you can feel tension, passion and a lot of soul in his playing. I dissected the album of Lynch Mob Wicked Sensation 😉 and still in love with the Dokken album "Under Lock and Key"

Did you made some concerts before covid and what was your best concert show?

No concert with Devoid yet, my best show was with SHADYON in Brasil ..lot's of people, lot's of energy ...great memories!!!

I think Carsten "Lizard" Schulz is great for Devoid! Charismatic, strong and beautiful voice. But why him? Is there any other candidates?

Because he is charismatic, strong and got a beautiful voice 🙂 I ve got a short list with some singers in mind for Devoid and the 1st idea was to mix 2 voices "à la" ALLEN LANDE. The real reason is that he is one of the rare singers, who gives me goosebumps. Generally I have a very strong idea of vocal melodies and Cartsen surprises me every time, he has the gift of composing very powerful and original melodies. He is the right mix of Hard Rock and Power Metal singer, he's has a real identity and a unique style and that's just huge and a real added value compared to a lot of other singers. I'm lucky to beable to work with him.

So «Lonely Eye Movement». I love it! Its really strong, talented and technical record! What about lyrics of this album? What is mean “Lonely Eye Movement”?


Carsten wrote all the lyrics, regarding LONELY EYE MOVEMENT it's a song about the horror of dealing with depression, trying to make your way through every single day. It doesn't matter at all what others might tell you about what or who you are, the struggle never stops.

I like both albums. Is there any musical difference between «Lonely Eye Movement» and previous album?

Yes. As I said, this his album benefits from the contribution of all the members of the group and it is more varied, more powerful and more addictive.

And my specials question at the end. Heavy Metal is eternal, but does it need some new, fresh things or nothing new under the moon – and heavy metal must be heavy metal and nothing at all?!

When I think about Heavy Metal, I have in mind band like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest.... and it's eternal....but all this band have tried different things in their careers ....it need fresh things ....to be eternal you must evolve and of course keep your heavy foundation 😉

Thanks for interview!

Questions: Евгений "Jackhammer" Молот 

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий